Our clients in Kensington Heights were ready to renovate their kitchen in their 1940′s home. With two young children, the area seemed to grow smaller and smaller and wasn’t meeting the family’s needs. When they came to us, we saw that their project was both both interesting and challenging.
Prior to contacting Merrick, the homeowners interviewed several local remodelers and purchased designs from a few. After our first meeting, they researched our company, checked our references and decided to move forward. Once their design agreement was enacted, we created four designs. During the reviews, they selected a design and we listened to their needs to make sure we’d build a project they’d love. We also occasionally acted as mediators when decisions seemed challenging for the husband and wife team.
(See the before photo to the left)
- To fully expand the space and create an eat-in kitchen with an island.
- To also create a foyer in the space where the front door opened into the living room. The living room lacked privacy and the homeowners wanted to integrate their new kitchen with the rest of the house via changes to the overall flow.
- To build within an existing space, which included a screened porch.
- To improve the existing design, which restricted the circulation in the house.
- To fit a kitchen closet in a space that was limited by stairs to the basement that could not be moved.
- To install the heat and AC into this new space.
Solutions and Special Features:
- Bumping out the kitchen into the screened porch space and using a flat roof.
- Installing detailed panels underneath the windows on the exterior.
- Adding a french door that opens to the backyard.
- Installing special light fixtures over the island.
- Installing a farmhouse sink with special details.
- Using high-end appliances and creating a built-in around a standard fridge.
- Recessing a radiator into the wall.
The homeowners, their family and friends are fully enjoying the new kitchen and renovated spaces. The final project integrates with the rest of the home and the rest of the neighborhood. (See the finished kitchen below.)
Questions? Comments? Reach me today at (301) 946-2356 or email@example.com.
Merrick Design and Build